Exit St. Paul's courtyard and turn left towards the overpass. You will pass Buell Hall on your right. Buell is
the only building still remaining from the Bloomingdale Asylum for the Insane, which occupied this site
before Columbia began to build the new campus in 1897. Buell Hall is home to La Maison Française.
Founded in 1913, La Maison Française is the oldest French cultural center established on an American
university campus. It is a meeting place for students, scholars, business leaders, policy-makers and those
seeking a better understanding of the French and Francophone world. Buell Hall also houses the Temple
Hoyne Center for the Study of American Architecture, the Arthur Ross Architecture Gallery and Columbia's
Headquarters for Japanese Architectural Studies and Advanced Research.
Keep heading towards the overpass, approaching Philosophy Hall. An authentic bronze casting of Rodin's
Le Penseur (The Thinker) stands before the entrance of Philosophy Hall. The building is home to several
departments, including Philosophy, English and Comparative Literature, French, and Romance Philology.
Atop the overpass lies Revson Plaza, which provides great views of Uptown and Midtown Manhattan. The
white building on the north side of the plaza is Casa Italiana, once home to the oldest Italian department in
the country. Casa Italiana, one of three New York City landmarks on campus, is home to the Italian
Academy for Advanced Studies in America. Founded in 1991 on the basis of an agreement between the
Republic of Italy and Columbia University, the Academy promotes advanced research in all areas relating to
Italian history and society. In addition, it seeks to establish a high level of academic and cultural exchange
between Italy and the US.
Styled after Italian Renaissance palaces by McKim, Mead and White, this 1927 building contains a small
library and a fine collection of Italian art and furniture. The second floor, with a mezzanine, contains an
auditorium, the most striking part of which is the ceiling, executed in elaborate gold fresco. A panel on the
south side of the building bears an inscription from Dante that translates "May it be a light between the
intellect and the truth." On the plaza in front of Casa Italiana is Three-Way Piece: Points by British artist
Henry Moore. Mounted on a revolving platform, the sculpture was originally designed to rotate, but was
stopped during the energy crisis of the early 70's. Further along the plaza are The Tightrope Walker by Kees
Verkade and Life Force by David Bakalar. Casa Italiana was restored in 1993 based on the designs of Italian
architect Italo Rota of Paris and Milan and Samuel E. White of Buttrick, White & Burtis of New York.
East of Casa Italiana is the International Affairs Building (IAB), which opened in 1970. The International
Affairs Building houses Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA). Founded in 1946,
SIPA offers interdisciplinary masters degree programs in international affairs, and in public policy and
administration. Several certificate programs are also offered. The building houses seven regional institutes,
including the Weatherhead East Asian Institute, the Harriman Institute for the study of Russia and the former
Soviet republics, as well as centers devoted to the study of Human Rights, the United Nations, and Urban
Research and Policy. The Economics and Political Science departments, and the Institute for Social and
Economic Research and Policy are also located here, as is the Lehman Library for the Social Sciences.
East of IAB stands the East Campus Residential Center, one of the tallest buildings on Columbia's
campus. This 20-story building is also home to the Center for Career Services, which provides students with
graduate school, professional school, and career counseling. The East Campus building also accommodates
guests visiting New York City for Columbia-related events. (For more information regarding Guest
Accommodations, please call 212-854-2946).
Wien Hall is one of Columbia's oldest residence halls and currently has 369 rooms. Jerome Greene Hall,
the main building within the Law School complex, has been home to the School of Law since 1960. The
School, which was founded in 1858, is one of the oldest in the United States. Its graduates include U. S.